Lawyers Professional Liability and Insurance
Professional Liability Insurance Companies (2008)
Professional Liability (a/k/a ‘legal malpractice or errors and omissions coverage) is a unique form of insurance. It is normally a “stand alone policy”, although some carriers are writing professional liability coverage as part of a general commercial liability policy. For example, State Farm insures businesses for general liability claims, but it current does not write professional liability coverage in New Mexico.
The companies listed below have written professional liability coverage for New Mexico lawyers either directly or through brokers. Click here for a list of brokers.
This list and the sequence in which this list is drawn is NOT an endorsement by the LPLI Committee or the State Bar of New Mexico of any of these companies. Neither is it an assurance that the list is complete nor that the listed companies are currently writing insurance in New Mexico or will provide coverage to a specific lawyer-applicant.
The list is in alphabetical order based on the number of New Mexico lawyers reporting the name of their insurance carrier last year in Section 2 (Mandatory Disclosure of Professional Liability Insurance) of the annual Dues/Licensing Form.
- Admiral Insurance
- American Guardian & Liability Insurance
- Attorney Liability Professional Society
- AXIS Surplus and Capitol Specialty
- The Bar Plan
- Capital Specialty Insurance Company
- Clarendon National Insurance Company
- CNA (Continental Casualty Co)
- Columbia Casualty Co.
- Complete Equity Markets, Inc.
- Diamond State Insurance Company
- Executive Risk Specialty Insurance Company
- Great American Ins. Co.
- Greenwich Insurance Company
- Gulf Insurance Group
- The Hartford Insurance Company
- Landmark American Insurance Co.
- Lawyers Professional Liability
- Lawyers Protection Plan
- Liberty International Underwriters
- Lloyds Insurance Company
- Minnesota Lawyers Mutual
- National Legal Aid Defenders Association
- Navigators Insurance Company
- NCMIC Insurance Company
- Philadelphia Insurance Companies
- Professionals Direct Ins. Co
- St Paul – Defense Research Institute (DRI) Program
- St. Paul Fire & Marine
- St Paul Travelers
- State National Insurance
- Twin City Fire Insurance
- XL Insurance
- Zurich America
Many of these companies can be contacted through brokers. You can also obtain contact information using an internet search engine. Many of these company’s websites contain extensive information regarding how to evaluate your professional liability policy limits, the type of coverage a lawyer may need, exclusions, and related matters.
i (A Lawyer who resides outside New Mexico but is also an active member of the State Bar of New Mexico Bar may have reported a carrier on the New Mexico Dues form that writes in the state in which the out of state lawyer resides, but does not write coverage in New Mexico).
ABA Directory of NM Carriers