I. New Mexico Business Organization and Choice of Entity:
• On the NM Public Regulation Commission website
See: Corporations Bureau – Starting a Business in New Mexico, by Robert D. Gorman, Esq. C.P.A.; and Charter Document FAQs.
• Note: to form a 501(c)(3) non-profit New Mexico corporation, the Articles of Incorporation must include the necessary language to be recognized as "tax exempt" by the IRS.
See IRS Publication 557 and Instruction to Form 1023
• Triple LP Comes to New Mexico CLE presentation by Jack Burton on November 14, 2007.
Keatinge and Conaway on Choice of Business Entity: Selecting Form and Structure for a Closely-Held Business (2009) Thomson West publishers
Model Real Estate Development Operating Agreement with Commentary, by Joint Task Force of ABA Section of Business Law, The Business Lawyer, Vol. 63, p.385 (Feb. 2008)
Tax Considerations in Forming an S Corporation or Limited Liability Company, by Dean B. Cross, Esq. (from 2009 Business Law Institute CLE)
II. Securities Law
What Every Business Lawyer Should Know About Small Offerings of Securities, by Robert S. Simon, Esq. and Michael J. Vargon, Esq. (from 2009 Business Law Institute CLE) [see tax info above]
III. UCC Issues:
• See NM UCC FAQ
• Lawyers' Opinion Letters in Mortgage Loan Transactions New Mexico, 2003, Opinion Letters Task Forces, Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section, State Bar of New Mexico
(copies and information on status of pending revision available from the Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section).
• ABA Legal Opinion Resource Center
V. Relevant Intellectual Property Issues
What Every Business Lawyer Should Know About Intellectual Property, by Gina Constant, Esq., New Mexico Lawyer Vol. 3, No. 4 October 6, 2008 and 2009 Business Law Institute CLE materials
VI. Employment Law Matters
• The Seven Deadly Sins of Employment Law (January 21, 2006)
• Domain Names May Need Protection From XXX Designation by Flavia Campbell and Jeffrey H. Albright
• Perfection of Vendor Interests in New Mexico Real Estate Contracts Under Revised Article 9 of the UCC by Bradley P. Tepper, Esq.
• Top Ten List of Drafting Dos and Don'ts by Robert D. Gorman, Esq., C.P.A.
• Drafting Documents that Even Clients Might Appreciate (May 10, 2007)
*Note to users: Please see the Disclaimer-Liability, Terms & Conditions/Privacy Disclosure governing the use of links, articles, forms and other information provided by the Business Law Section of the State Bar of New Mexico on this Website.