Recently Approved Rule Changes Rule 24-106 NMRA
Attorneys authorized to practice law before the highest court of record in any state, territory or country wishing to appear before a New Mexico court in a civil matter should consult the following rules:
Rule 24-106 NMRA
Practice by nonadmitted lawyers before state courts (Rules Governing New Mexico Bar)
Registration and Payment to the State Bar of New Mexico
Non-admitted lawyers shall:
a. Associate with counsel licensed to practice law in good standing in New Mexico;
b. Be authorized to practice law before the highest court of record in any state, territory, or country;
c. Comply separately for each civil action, suit or proceeding in which the attorney intends to appear;
d. Comply with Rule 16-104 NMRA regarding disclosure of professional liability insurance; and,
e. Pay a non-refundable fee of $250 to the State Bar of New Mexico.
- File registration certificate:
By Mail with Check
Office of General Counsel
State Bar of New Mexico
PO Box 92860
Albuquerque, NM 87199
By Fax w/Credit Card
Payment of $250 must accompany the registration certificate.
a. Payment can be in the form of check or credit card (see registration certificate)
b. Non-admitted lawyers may certify a waiver of the fee (see Rule 24-106 NMRA)
Filing with the State Court
- Upon compliance with Rule 24-106 NMRA, non-admitted lawyers shall file an affidavit;
- Non-admitted lawyer shall consult the appropriate Rule of Civil Procedure Rule 1-089.1 NMRA or Rule of Appellate Procedure Rule 12-302 NMRA to complete the admission process with the Court;
- See sample Affidavit required by these rules.
- Non-admitted lawyers intending to appear before an agency or other administrative law hearing should contact the appropriate agency for the admission procedure.
Contact the Office of General Counsel, 505-797-6050 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Association with Local Counsel