The Volunteer Attorney Program (VAP) is designed to meet the civil legal needs of
low-income New Mexicans. In 2012, across New Mexico, 647 attorneys provided
pro bono assistance to 10,725 individuals who may not have had equal access to justice otherwise.
Link to Facebook Page
Pro Bono Month Was a Huge Success!
Ways that you can get involved with the VAP include:
- Providing limited, free legal advice at a legal fair or clinic
- Accept a case for representation, either through limited representation or
- Teach a public legal education class that provides clients with essential information to protect their rights.
- Train other attorneys through a CLE.
- Serve as co-counsel on a pro bono case or mentor another attorney in an area of law.
- Volunteer as much or as little as your schedule permits.
The benefits of volunteering include:
- Malpractice insurance for all pro bono cases and activities.
- Subject matter and litigation training, including free CLEs.
- Resource materials to assist in preparation and litigation of your cases.
- Access to mentors who are legal experts in their field.
- Opportunities to co-counsel with other attorneys.
- Fulfillment of your ethical responsibilities. http://www.nmbar.org/Attorneys/ATJ/prpublicoservicerules.html
- Personal satisfaction from helping clients with serious legal needs who otherwise could not obtain legal help.
Sign up for the Volunteer Attorney Program!
The Volunteer Attorney Program is operated by New Mexico Legal Aid in partnership
with the State Bar of New Mexico and the NM Commission on Access to Justice.
Join the Volunteer Attorney Program
For more information or to sign up, please contact: email@example.com
There are sixteen local pro bono committees in New Mexico. Each of these
committees plans pro bono activities to serve the legal needs of low-income clients in their districts. Services provide include legal advice clinics, assisting pro se litigants, community legal
education, settlement facilitation, and more. To learn how you can get involved with pro
bono activities in your judicial district, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org