Practice by Non-admitted Lawyers
Attorneys authorized to practice law before the highest court of record in any state or country (non-admitted lawyer) wishing to perform legal services on behalf of a client or party in New Mexico should consult the following rules and procedures for Pro Hac Vice authorization:
Step One: Consult the Rules and Determine Eligibility:
Main Pro Hac Vice Rules:
Rules of Procedure:
- Rule 24-106 NMRA
Practice by non-admitted lawyers (Rules Governing New Mexico Bar)
- Rule 16-505 NMRA
Unauthorized practice of law; multi-jurisdictional practice of law (Rules of Professional Conduct)
- Rule 16-104 (c) NMRA
Disclosure of professional liability insurance (Rules of Professional Conduct)
- Rule 1-089.1 NMRA
Non-admitted and nonresident counsel (Rules of Civil Procedures for the District Courts)
- Rule 2-107 NMRA
Pro se and attorney appearance (Rules of Civil Procedures for the Magistrate Courts)
- Rule 3-107 NMRA
Pro se and attorney appearance (Rules of Civil Procedures for the Metropolitan Courts)
- Rule 5-108 NMRA Non-admitted and nonresident counsel (Rules of Criminal Procedures for the District Courts)
Rule 12-302 NMRA
Appearance, Withdrawal or Substitution of Attorneys ( Rules of Appellate Procedure)
Step Two: Find Local Counsel and Obtain Certificates of Good Standing
For assistance finding local counsel please see:
- Non-admitted attorneys shall submit a certificate of good standing from every state or country in which the attorney is admitted or licensed.
- Non-admitted attorneys who must disclose discipline should follow the process established in Rule 24-106 (C) NMRA and send their information directly to the Disciplinary Board, 2440 Louisiana Blvd NE Ste 280, Albuquerque NM 87110 with a copy to the Office of General Counsel at the address below
Step Three: File Registration Certificate and Payment to the State Bar of New Mexico:
For questions regarding notary requirement, please email Pam Zimmer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Make checks payable to:
State Bar of New Mexico and mail to:
Office of the General Counsel - PHV
State Bar of New Mexico
PO Box 92860
Albuquerque, NM 87199
By Fax with Credit Card
| For overnight packages
State Bar of New Mexico
Attn: Office of the General Counsel - PHV
5121 Masthead St NE
Albuquerque, NM 87109
Payment of appropriate fee must accompany the registration certificate.
- For Fee Structure and waivers see Rule 24-106 (D) NMRA
- Payment can be in the form of check, credit/debit card or electronic check
Step Four: Filing with the State Court (if applicable):
- Non-admitted lawyer shall consult the appropriate Rule of Civil Procedure Rule or Rule of Appellate Procedure to complete the admission process with the Court;
- See sample Affidavit required by these rules.
- Non-admitted lawyers intending to appear before an agency or other administrative law hearing should contact the appropriate agency for the admission procedure.
- If the non-admitted attorney is going to file electronic, please contact the Judicial Information Division (JID) to obtain a CAID number which is needed to e-file.
JID Help Desk: 1-505-476-6911
JID Help Desk Email: email@example.com
If you have any questions regarding the rules contact the Office of General Counsel, 505-797-6050 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding the form or procedures contact Pam Zimmer, 505-797-6092 or email email@example.com